Monday, October 24, 2011

Oops, I Went There Again

Lately, I've come to believe that the shame of dependency is not something I strive to experience. Why would one want to lose their sense of self in exchange for a melting pot of two separate and unique souls? Don’t get me wrong, the concept of love is beautiful. An ideal, euphoric, feeling really, but my faith in whether it's possible for me personally to experience such a thing is warping rapidly. I don’t mean to discredit the love of family and friends, but a monogamous relationship filled with trust, loyalty, and simplicity is damn near impossible for my corrupt generation. Attempt, after attempt, after attempt? Forgive me, but love is an idea that every human tortures themself over, and if they aren’t causing self-destruction they undoubtedly are aware of the influence and power it has over people. What if in fact it is just a fabricated and unrealistic attitude embedded in us by society? We are told how to live our lives. Our culture is learned. I understand companionship, I understand human contact, I understand the vitality of communication and the importance it plays in the development of a "normal" human being, but what I don't understand is why we choose to complicate our feelings and unite legal documents and emotions. That’s right, I’m talking about marriage. Emotions are not rational, and if people join in marriage simply because they love each other, isn't this reason enough to disallow such an act?  I realize that the chances of me NOT causing offense at this point is even more unlikely than my theory, but let’s step outside of our comfort zones for a second and try to justify why just about anyone can bond over marriage like it’s a cup of coffee? For those of you who actually stuck around to read more than the first few lines of this rant, I commend you and I'll end on that note. I feel like I need to write a paper and call it Pessimistic Self-Righteous Bitch, or something along those lines.

L.

No comments:

Post a Comment