Tuesday, November 22, 2011

This will probably offend you and I probably won't apologize.

Rather than filling my brain with scholarly thoughts and opinions on Sociology, I've been spending my evening discussing my own world with any one and everyone. It's in these conversations that I learn the most amazing things about people. I become fascinated with my friends and family; their thoughts and perspectives. My peers truly are my greatest educators and it's not a word of a lie when I say that there are some things you just can't learn out of a text book. This may not be the best time to decide that I'm sick of academia and I need a break to enjoy my life, since I have an exam tomorrow. But, for once I am going to not care about that part of my life and take a test of my own. The question: how much do I truly know? Sociology is a subject that requires an understanding of the social world and I feel like I've experienced so much in such little time that my understanding is depths beyond expected. Numerous times I have been told that I am wise beyond my years, so why not just test the limits and stop stressing over one damn test in exchange for a night of free flowing thought and expression.

Before I start on this tangent I want to clarify that I am not trying to be belligerent or rude, but it's going to sound that way...

It seems that every time I log onto Facebook a heartfelt RIP message is thrown out there and the world is unnecessarily sad for an additional day. By no means am I disregarding the pain and suffering that these individuals are going through, but instead I am just trying to state that the way in which our culture chooses to deal with death is completely depressing. I've had my rant on marriage, but now it's time to tackle a whole new socially accepted ritual - funerals.

First of all, this dominant norm of wearing black to funerals is outdated and unnecessary. Why is it that we ignorantly base our attire on a colour? I'm not proposing that you show up to Gramma Beth's funeral wearing a cocktail dress, feathers and all, but why torture ourselves any further than packing a group of anxious, grieving individuals into a room like sardines and then to make matters worse further our bodily stress by trapping heat under our clothes? When I die, I propose that the few of you who take the time to read my blog please arrive clothed in anything, except black. Remember, this is the last time all of my friends and family will be together and celebrate MY life, so you better show up ready to party.

Secondly, WHY must the atmosphere at funerals be so heavy and dark? Our expectations of these ceremonies are sad and uncomfortable. When I attend funerals, the sorrow is so prevalent that I feel obligated to cry as soon as I sit down. Don't even get me started on the moment that the family walks in through the entire room of seated guests. Bring on the water works people. The mind boggling thing is it doesn't have to be this way! I've lost a person who I consider a close loved one and you know what? We didn't spend the entire week prior to the funeral with black veils over our faces and buckets in our laps to catch our tears. Of course there were moments of pain, but in all honesty we spent more time laughing together as a family than crying.

People die, it's inevitable, that's not the problem that we as a society have. Our problem is as soon as someone is gone forever and we make this realization, we look back and ponder on the "what if's". We start to gather our regrets regarding our relationship with that person. Or we can't help but wonder what the future may have held. I like to call it Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda, syndrome, or in some cases Woulda-not.  Regardless, the point I am bringing to attention is instead of being sad once some one is gone, why not be happy while they are here? We need to appreciate each other, make time for one another, and never hesitate to express how much an individual means to us. The fact of the matter is, you still have a future that is waiting to unfold and I urge you to take the ride, full throttle.

Take that Sociology.

L.


1 comment:

  1. Funerals suck... I vote we get rid of them completely...

    PS I'm totally blog stalking you... I expect the same in return...

    ReplyDelete