Monday, October 7, 2013

Run for the Cure, Edmonton 2013


A few months back I shared my story around breast cancer, after registering for Edmonton's 2013 Run for the Cure. For anyone who missed it, here it is again:
Hi everyone, welcome to my personal page.   
I wanted to share a bit of background information behind why I am choosing to Run for the Cure this year. I hope you can take the time to read a chapter of my story. 
As we all know, cancer affects so many individuals and their loved ones. Many of us can say that we have been directly affected by the tragic disease but until recently, when my Auntie Kelly was diagnosed, I did not fall into that category.  
Kelly's journey was a positive one, which seemed key to her success. When I visited her Facebook page her updates were always inspiring and uplifting messages. Frequently saying things like "I am surviving and thriving!" She even posted a picture of her 'new do' - or lack there of - with the caption "owning it!" It is people like Kelly that inspire me to be grateful for my blessings. If someone with such a terrifying reality, like cancer, can put forth such a strong and encouraging front, then everyone should be able to do the same. Fortunately, Kelly BEAT breast cancer  and we are all so thankful and proud! Still to this day Kelly appreciates what she has learned about herself and others through this crazy time. It is as if she has found a blessing in disguise.  
I want to thank you Kelly for touching so many of us with your courage and strength. You have been a fantastic role model for all of us!This year to celebrate the survivors, support the fighters, and prevent further cancer I am choosing to participate in Edmonton's Run For the Cure, taking place on October 6th. 
Please join us, support us, or fund us!  
Thank you, 
Lauren 
Needless to say October 6 came and went and did we ever have a memorable day. My team members truly blew away our fundraising goals, raising a grand total of $17,000! Uncle Shawn placed in the top three individual fundraisers and I am proud to say that I met my own personal goal by finally running consistently throughout an entire 5k race, in 26 minutes and 38 seconds. I can only imagine what we are going to accomplish next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment