Friday, October 4, 2013

App Advocate: Nike+ Running

I LOVE TO RUN.  Unfortunately, I am by no means a natural and I have to work really hard to even look like I know what I am doing. Just when I think I have things under control, I come across that dreaded incline of a hill and my stride slows down before you can say "sloth." It can be really frustrating and discouraging to enjoy something so much, while simultaneously being so terrible at it.

This spring, after running the Mother's Day Run for the second year in a row, and getting my ass kicked by nearly everyone, the fact that I was a terrible runner was verified. I am an early 20 something for God's sake. There's no way that mom's pushing their baby strollers should be cruising past me in a 5k race! Not to say that these mom's aren't amazing for doing what they do, but I knew I could do better! 

And so it began - my quest towards getting in shape. Naturally, I turned to technology to aid me in attaining this goal, because let's be honest here if an app can't make me fit, what can?! Surprise, surprise, to my dismay, no fitness, diet, or lifestyle app transformed me into an elite athlete within moments. Damn.

When technology failed me, I decided I would have to do things the old fashioned way and just, well, start running. I'd wake up every morning, lace up my runners, and get out there before the sun was shining! I started running farther, catching my breath, and just becoming a better runner in general, but I still wanted concrete evidence that I was getting somewhere! Luckily, Nike+ Running came into my life in June. I found this treasure and ran with it (literally).


What is Nike+ Running?
The app description says it best:
Map your runs, track your progress, and get the motivation you need to keep going. The Nike+ Running app tracks distance, pace, time and calories burned with GPS, giving you audio feedback as you run. Automatically upload to nikeplus.com to see your runs, including your route, elevation and NikeFuel.

Features:



Benefits:

1. Track your progress: 
As I mentioned, I need to KNOW that I am getting better. Sometimes our brains like to think delusional thoughts, we tend to get over confident. "I probably ran, like, 15k today."  Do you really want to be that guy? Probably not. When it comes to physical activity and transformation I feel a lot more accomplished and motivated when I can track my daily successes. Nike+ Running really helps a person get from point a to point b. You have the opportunity to time your runs, track your distance, and beat your personal best every day! 


2. Accountability
When settings goals I find that it is important to make that goal visible. What I mean by visible is not keeping your goals trapped in your mind. Put them out there for the world to see! Visibility means no excuses, no hiding, no running from your fears of failure. Whether you schedule your runs through the calendar feature, strive to keep a spot on the leader board, or simply want to beat your own records, Nike+ Running helps you stay accountable and committed to your fitness goals.


3. Compete & Challenge Yourself
I just finished my first 30 day challenge and I couldn't be more proud! 50 miles in 30 days. One of my absolute favourite things about this app is that you can compete against your friends. This is probably the most motivating feature of all if you are a competitive person. Top spot on the leader board is really a fulfilling feeling! 


I've come a long way since using this tool, but the real test will be this Sunday when I join my friends and family to Run for the Cure. Since the Mother's Day run I have also participated in Color Me Rad and Mud Hero. Unfortunately, I didn't have that redeeming moment that I have been working towards. I have a good feeling that moment will come this weekend. Wish me luck!

Get Nike+ Running today and run with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment