Friday, September 16, 2011

"This discovery of yours will create forgetfulness in the learners' soul, because they will not use their memories; they will trust the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth but only the semblance of truth; they will be bearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be the omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome to company, having the show of wisdom without the reality."
-Plato

I couldn't agree more with this statement on the invention of writing. I'm a walking, talking, breathing example of this truth. Realistically, I feel as though my memory is so short term that few things that I learn are truly absorbed, due to the fact that technology has taken the place of my internal memory. Damnit world, look what you've done to the youth of the Western world.


No comments:

Post a Comment