Thursday, March 27, 2014

First Impressions: Planet Organic Freebies

You know that feeling you get when you submerge in a bubble bath at the end of a long day, or when you leave everything behind and step onto a plane that will land in a warm and foreign land for a much needed vacation?

Bliss. Pure, bliss.

I get that same feeling when I walk into Planet Organic.

My last two trips have been better than anticipated and if the title of this post doesn't give it away I'll just come out and tell you that I've been receiving freebies, for spending too much money.

I don't buy all of my groceries here (yet), but I do pop in from time to time to pick up odds and ends. Apparently since February, the store has been offering their customers free items, if you spend $50 or more.

Yes, I know what you're thinking...how much money do you spend on "odds and ends?" The answer that question is, probably too much.

Yesterday I received my second round of freebies and I thought I would share my thoughts on the goodies, with the rest of you.
First up, we have...

SeaSnax Spicy Chipotle Grab & Go (6-Pack)

When I first saw these, I was pretty excited to try them. Seaweed is considered a super food, but these days I am starting to think that anything natural can claim this label. Seaweed is a great source of iodine and antioxidants. Research has shown that it can help regulate sexual hormones and prevent inflammation. However, despite all of these benefits I was a little disappointed in this four ingredient snack. 

Once I tore the packaging apart, I found the snack in large pieces, as wide and long as the packaging it was inclosed in. Immediately I wondered how I was going to reseal the remaining pieces of seaweed. I broke a smaller piece off and started to nibble.

I'm not sure if it was the taste or the texture that turned me off, but I wasn't crazy about my first few bites. I actually ended up ditching my leftovers and throwing them in the trash. Guilty. I imagine that this might be a little tastier if it was crumbled and thrown into a salad, but I haven't had a chance to test this out quite yet.

According to the website this little number retails at $8.95. I won't be going out and buying this product, but if I can find a way to enjoy it it's definitely a nice steal of a freebie. 
Next is an item that most of you have probably seen before.

Kettle Brand Potato Chips: Backyard Barbeque 

I'm a sucker for chips. I rarely pass up on the opportunity to enjoy a little salty, crunchy, goodness. I'd never tried Kettle's version, but as a kid barbecue chips were always my go to. 

Every bite took me back to my childhood! Lovely. They go for about $4.00 a bag, bringing us up to approximately $13.00 in freebies, so far. 
Finally...

Fruit d'Or Dried Organic Cranberries 

The flavour of these cranberries is great. I prefer it to other brands, like Craisins, and they are also much larger in size. However, they are still packed with sugar and I'm beginning to wonder whether or not we will ever be able to escape the sweet truth.

I imagine these will be a perfect addition to my energy bites. I have the tendency to throw anything and everything into my no-bake balls, so these will surely be included in my next batch.

I can't recall the price of this product, but I want to say it was around the $5.00 mark, give or take a dollar in either direction. Again, a great free item!

In summary...

  • SeaSnax Spicy Chipotle Grab & Go (6-Pack): nay
  • Kettle Brand Potato Chips: Backyard Barbecue: yay
  • Fruit d'Or Dried Organic Cranberries: yay 
According to my math, which is not to be trusted, I received just under $20.00 worth of free products! An added bonus? I even got that lovely reusable bag that you saw at the beginning of this post. 

Every two weeks, Planet Organic cycles out their freebies, so if you like what you see here be sure to get in there and spend your $50.00 wisely. If these items aren't your cup of tea, I'll be sure to share what goodies I receive next. 

Now get off my blog and into Planet Organic!

L.

1 comment: