Saturday, November 22, 2014

Choose Your Adventure: Ordinary vs. Extraordinary

By 2010, my Dad and I had experienced our fair share of distance, missed occasions and misunderstandings. We seemed to be lacking that one component that bound us together. We got along as well as any father-daughter duo, but that tight knit feeling seemed to fade as the years went on. 

It was no one's fault. Families of divorce just have to become accustom to distance and absence. Sacrifices have to be made, right? 

Four years ago I would have said yes. I would have accepted that although my situation wasn't ideal, I was comfortable and being comfortable is...fine. 

Fast forward to today and I'm not so quick to accept a life that is equally lacking and comfortable. Now, I can say with confidence that no one has to stay stuck in anything that is less than ideal. No one has to live comfortably forever. We all deserve to live extraordinary lives, but we have to choose to create a life of greatness, and we have to take action. 

Imagine living your life without the fear of debt and finances lurking over every decision you make. Imagine chasing after exotic vacation spots, instead of chasing after job opportunities. Imagine sacrificing the 10 hour work day, instead of sacrificing time with your family. Imagine visiting your loved ones whenever you want, without having to ask permission. Imagine being remembered as someone who wasn't afraid to take risks, who lived a life of contribution, who left a lasting legacy. 

It doesn't matter what your ideal life looks like, what matters is that you are open and honest about it. If you aren't thinking about what your perfect day looks and feels like, than you're never going to get it. Have a clear picture in your mind, be able to describe every last detail. Then go for it. 

A short six months ago, I made realization that has me more excited about the future than ever before. I've rediscovered - or perhaps discovered for the first time - my purpose, my passion, my drive. I wake up every morning thinking about what I can do with my next 24 hours to get me closer to the life of my dreams. I've latched onto a vision that, to some, may seem too good to be true, but to me is too good to pass up.

Undoubtedly, this opportunity will be the vehicle that drives me to my ideal life, a life free of unnecessary sacrifice. I'm so grateful that my family is right beside me too, riding shotgun. For my Dad and I, that missing piece of the puzzle has been found and, I must say, the finished product is extraordinary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment