Monday, January 9, 2012

Inspiration


My favorite piece of advice, that I have truly attempted to live by, was given to me on the night of what I would  consider my first and only serious break-up. Now before I continue any further, let's try and look at this in perspective.

There I was, lying in bed around ten thirty on a Monday night, exhausted from an evening of scuba diving training. Young, and barely stripped of my innocence, I received the dreaded phone call we are all so familiar with that ended what I thought was a relationship. I was reassured with numerous variations of cliches, such as "it's not you, it's me" that the failed relationship wasn't my burden.

The thing I can't wrap my head around is how people don't understand how much more confusing and hurtful a break-up can be when they neglect to provide any kind of explanation, as to why they don't want to be with you any more. Don't tell me I didn't do anything wrong, because let's be honest here - obviously I did or you wouldn't be breaking up with me. I'm so thankful that I understand now that there is absolutely no way to end a relationship without hurting some ones feelings, so endless excuses are often recited to sugar coat matters. Just a quick tip boys, I'm not a girl who appreciates poor communication.

Regardless of how this slap to the face went down, my Gramma happened to be staying with us at the time and am I ever blessed to have her wise words come at me that night. When we're young, we often forget how important good advice can be. We are simply pieces of clay waiting to be shaped into a final product of beauty and each and every moment that we take into consideration contributes to who we become in the future.

For some reason, I listened more carefully to my Gramma that night than I ever had before. She, similar to most grand parents, has always been wise and full of comforting words, but that night when she told me that having no expectations for others can only leave you with no disappointments I ran with that statement and never looked back. In expecting nothing from others, you will be satisfied with the result in any case, no matter what. The only person that you should ever expect anything from is yourself, everyone else that provides greatness in your life is just a blessing and gift that you're lucky enough to have.

I come across a lot of quotes, but tonight when I stumbled across Shakespeare's quote above I really stopped to ponder, understand, and appreciate his words.

Sweet dreams,

L.


No comments:

Post a Comment